31st Nottingham Chess Congress
The 2006 Nottingham Congress was held at Bramcote Hills Sport and Community College, Nottingham, on 22–23 April. Tony Wright and Neil Graham worked heroically, along with the Lakhani family, Tony’s family and Michael Barnes (playing and organising at the same time), to ensure that everything ran smoothly.
Here’s a quick summary of the prizewinners. All scores are from a maximum of 5 points. Club names in parentheses indicate Notts League players.
Open to all players
- 1st: GM Mark Hebden 4½; £300
- 2nd: IM Andrew Greet 4; £150
- 3rd equal: Paul Cumbers, Ankush Khandelwal (Nomads) and Don Mason 3½; £33.33 each
Don Mason qualifies for the British Championship with this result.
Open to players graded below 160
- 1st: Donny Muter 4½; £250
- 2nd equal: Robert Dean, Derek Jarvis (West Nottingham), Ian Kingston (West Nottingham) and Amisha Parmar (West Nottingham) 4; £50 each
Open to players graded below 120
- 1st equal: Anjali Lakhani (Long Eaton) and Arturo Gonzales 4½; £140 each
- 3rd equal: Gary Hopkinson (Gambit), Christopher Lewis, Daniel Lin (West Nottingham), Lateefah Messam-Sparks (West Nottingham) and Alan Papier 4; £10 each
Trophies were also presented to Anjali Lakhani (best junior from Derbyshire and best Notts League junior) and Kishan Lakhani (best Notts Under 18). The Lakhanis may have to spend some of Anjali’s prize money on some new shelving.